- Look at the book cover, describe it and discuss it. What information does the title and picture give you about the historic period and the country where this story takes place? What could its main theme be about?
- Now watch these two videos and take some notes:
- Who are the main characters?
- When and Where is the story taking place?
- A brief summary of the plot (no more than 150w)
- What are the main ideas discussed in this story?
3. This is a quote from the first chapter of the book. What do you know about
the historical era when the story takes place? Can you find any similarities to the present?
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,
it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,
it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness,
it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us,
we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short,
the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received,
for good or for evil,
in the superlative degree of comparison only."
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, Book 1, Chapter 1
4. At the time in France...
5. While in Britain....
During the Victorian times there were special conditions of living for the children. Find out more here
CHILDREN AT VICTORIAN BRITAIN - BBC
- The Movie (1958)