Level: Intermediate to Upper Intermediate
Aim: To raise awareness and warm up sts regarding the topic of Olympic Games; to practise speaking skills; to practise relevant vocabulary
- Ask your students to comment the following quotes by Pierre de Coubertin :
“The six colours, including the white background, represent the colours of all the world's flags... this is a true international emblem.”
“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”
- Continue with a brainstorming activity on "Olympic Games Ideals". We can use a tool such as http://www.mindomo.com/
by Paschalis T.
Some of them might be...
mix of mind, body and spirit
terrorism and war
- Watch this stop motion film OLYMPIC SPIRIT created for the International Olympic Committee.
- Ask them to write down some key words while watching the film. Show it twice. Then try to associate these simple words with the Ideals discussed earlier.
View more documents from doragk
- Now Visit the site and discuss the vision and the mission of these important people
- Ask your sts to prepare their own Little Book of Olympic Spirit either with quotes of famous people or with stories of inspirational athletes, representing each one of these ideals.
- This is an end product to be finished upon completion of the whole project entitled "Olympic Games" of which this lesson is only the introduction.